Sunday, July 14, 2013

sweet little things






The last few days I've come down with a cold and like most people, when I'm sick I crave comfort foods. For me, it's chicken and vegetable soup, vegemite toast, ginger tea and chocolate.

Problem is, I stopped eating sugar a few months ago and while I'm usually not tempted by the sweet stuff, when I'm feeling run down or ill it is pretty tough to walk away. Luckily, I've experimented with lots of recipes for healthier alternatives and now have a few staples up my sleeve that are quick, simple and will satisfy any sweet craving.

My go-to is a basic chocolate recipe that can be turned into lots of different treats. It contains just a few ingredients; raw cacao, a mix of coconut oil and cacao butter (or just one or the other depending on how I feel), and a touch of maple syrup or stevia (this could also be switched for rice malt syrup). All you do is melt the ingredients over low heat (ideally on a double boiler, or in a bowl on top of a steamer works well too!) and whisk together, then pour into a baking paper-lined vessel and pop in the freezer for around an hour. It's that easy!

Great thing is this recipe can be adapted with different flavours; you can add sea salt, or turn it into peanut butter cups, or add mint, or chilli, or coconut. You can make them more nutritious by adding maca or lucuma powder, or even popped quinoa. The options are endless!

This recipe is based on a few different ones I've read on some of my favourite food blogs. They all have a heap of great, healthy, wholefood recipes available so check them out!



No comments:

Post a Comment